Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Adventure at Lover's Beach

On the popular but isolated Lover’s Beach, rocks spring out from the sand, reaching towards the heavens like massive grainy fingers, only to be pounded back and sculpted by the furious Pacific Ocean surf. Their rounded, organic looks remind of the art of H.R. Giger.

One day in Cabo, Mary and I decided to hire a water taxi to take us out to Lover’s Beach. The only real way to reach Lover’s Beach is by boat. I’ve heard rumors of a land-route, but it must be very rough and dangerous. In any case, it’s isolation doesn’t keep the tourists away, as we joined dozens of others sunning themselves and enjoying the magnificent scenery and weather. Some snorkled on the relatively calm Sea of Cortez side. I had rented a snorkel mask and fins and decided to join them. I was wary at first, as the supposedly ‘calm’ Sea of Cortez side was washing ashore with a ferocity that I didn’t find very calm. The Sea of Cortez side of the beach was a narrow strip of sand with walls of rounded rock on each side, forcing incoming waves to ricochet off the walls and wash in various directions. When a strong surge would come in, it made entering or exiting the water a treacherous adventure.

After a few tries, I made it into the surf and started snorkeling. There honestly wasn’t much to see, as the fish were few. I did come upon a school of narrow, small silver trumpet fish and few other unidentifable colorful tropical fish. After awhile two blazen yellow swimmming fins came into view. Apparently someone had lost them, so I swam over to get them. As I did, this Mexican guy in a boat motored over to me letting me know that whoever had rented them would be in trouble. I surveyed the beach and didn’t see anyone motioning for me to bring them ashore, so without argument I tossed them onboard the boat.

After snorkeling for a little while, I decided to try for shore. Some large swells, like 4 feet in height or so began washing over me and crashing into Lover’s Beach and bouncing ancillary waves in various directions.I decided to let the waves wash me in naturally, while I would do my best to direct myself towards the safety of the sandy shore.

Neptune decided to throw a little wrench into my plans as two huge swells flushed me rapidly towards the rocky left side. I pushed out, forcing my body towards the sand, but a second sneaker wave knocked me squarely into the rocks. I grabbed on to the rocks to keep myself from being sucked out with the surf. I was lucky that all the sharp points on the rocks were worn down by the waves. I was left with only a couple scrapes and scratches.

When I emerged from the water, several people watched me as if I had just stepped off a flying saucer. I flashed them an ‘ok’ sign, and slyly commented to one lady “Well, that wasn’t the entrance I intended to make.”

Mary had a photographic field day at Lovers’ Beach, snapping photos of the all the fascinating sights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home